Reservations and directions: contact info at wisteriaways.org **PREFERRED**
Add your contact information to our e-mail list to be notified of future events.
Anne Marie and Fiddlearound
Saturday Sept 12th 3pm-Outside concert
An infectious blend of swamp boogie, blues, Cajun, Zydeco, gypsy, fiddle tunes, country & originals
- An acoustic trio with a weaving an infectious blend of swamp boogie, blues, Cajun, Zydeco, gypsy, fiddle tunes, country & originals. Fiddlaround features soulful vocals with thrilling three part vocal harmonies, the funky fiddle work of Annie Marie, the hot accordion accompaniment of Maureen Coyle & the rock solid Diane Dutra on stand up bass & percussion. These three women cook up a musical gumbo that is toe-tapping good for the soul and perfect for any venue and any age group.
- Annie Marie: fiddler, vocalist, songwriter & arranger
Annie Marie, from Houston, Texas, has been playing fiddle since she was nine and performing professionally since the age of twelve. She toured Europe, the U.S.A and Canada where her funky fiddle and soulful vocals made her a favorite on the Cajun Zydeco scene. She has led numerous bay area bands including the Smokin' Section, Tee Fee Swamp Boogie Blues, American Roots, and now FIDDLAROUND!
- Diane Dutra: bass, vocals, low boy
Diane Dutra has been playing music since she was nine, playing locally and nationally. She has toured nationally with Marty Balin of Jefferson Starship, Luther Tucker and Jimmy McCracklin. In the San Francisco bay Area, she worked with Curtis Lawson, Alvon Johnson, Red Archibald and the Internationals and, perhaps most importantly, has spent the last 12 years playing bass in the RV Band with partner, Raymond Victor. Dutra's versatility on stand-up acoustic bass and electric bass along with her vocal abilities make her an integral part of any performance. Her extensive background in vocal harmony allows the band the opportunity for three part harmonies. Diane plays a solid, melodic rhythm and her concept of meter creates the solid groove. 'Dutra' has joined Annie and 'Mo' in forming the acoustic Americana trio, FIDDLAROUND!
- Maureen Coyle: accordion, vocals
Maureen has been performing since she was 23. She has played percussion, sung, and recorded for many San Francisco Bay Area artists. She was a key member in local avant-garde group The Bunyups, fronted several local blues bands, and has been guest vocalist with the Bertol Brothers. Maureen's dazzling vocals add excitement and depth, both in her duets with Annie and in her harmony work, and she keeps it hot with her lilting and rhythmic accordion. Maureen can also be seen performing in the SF bay area with the duo 'Willie and Mo' . 'Mo' is an accomplished accordionist and is an integral part of the acoustic Americana trio FIDDLAROUND!
- Annie Marie & Fiddlaround first started working as a trio in 2010 adding fiddle tunes, old style blues, country tunes and southern jazz to the Cajun Zydeco repertoire of Tee Fee. Dutra added a low boy (low high hat) and Annie added a small kickdrum (stompbox when amplified) so they could add more percussion. They found that the trio was a perfect vehicle for promoting acoustic American music and used it to back up Annies educational offerings celebrating American cultural diversity through its folk songs and fiddle tunes. Since Annie is a credentialed teacher they found they were very popular, performing for numerous classes and school assemblies in the area as well as a very successful fundraiser for the BNai Israel Congregation after their temple was vandalized.
- Annie Marie & Fiddlaround found that their three voices blended beautifully and Annie started arranging their tunes to show off the three part harmonies. At the end of 2012 they recorded their first CD, Annie Marie & Fiddlaround and are planning to record a CD called Two Cents Sharp in 2014. Annie has been adding original music in the genre throughout her career and about 15% of their general repertoire is original continuing the tradition of American folk music as a living, breathing and changing art form.
Listen to some tracks --Fiddlearound
Saturday Sept 19 at 3pm, Outside concert
Singersongwriter & entertainer of multiple genres!
- A musician who has always hated categories, she describes herself as a "creative noisemaker," which has irritated some critics but delighted many audiences, who learn to expect anything at a Schmidt concert, hymn, poem, bawdy verse, torch song, satire, and the gamut of emotions. Her live performances are not to be missed. Her musicality is astonishing. Her joy and love of performing are contagious. She can weave the elements of music and stage into a program so unified and full of life that one critic has described a Claudia Schmidt concert as "....a lot like falling in love. You never know what's going to happen next, chances are it's going to be wonderful, every moment is burned into your memory, and you know you'll never be the same again." SG Bay Guardian
- Claudia Schmidt has been perfecting her craft of performing for almost four decades. It is a quirky and wonderful hodge-podge (her word!) of music, poetry, story, laughter. drama, and celebrating the moment. Work in clubs, theaters, festivals, TV, radio has added depth and dimension, and since she has always included her original work along with very personal versions of the work of others, what you get is a unique look at the world from someone who says what she sees with clarity, humor, and wonder.
- To say that Schmidt is simply a performer with a talent to entertain would be a miscarriage of understatement. Schmidt takes her audiences into her world as easily as the child who discovers the endless universes that exist in a cardboard box.
From lying on sandy beaches under an endless barrage of northern lights, to the expected anguish and frustration of spinning tires on cars stuck deep in snow, from the age-old struggle of change between adolescence and adulthood to the observation of sheer idiocy, she leaves it to the imagination of her audience to conjure their own images of her storytelling and song. No interpretation of a Claudia Schmidt song or story is wrong-she invites audiences to tie their associations to her style.
Schmidt weaves her way through her concert in much the same manner as a jester. Interwoven anecdotes, revealing her past and present, bring people to expect a relationship between themselves and memories driven deep with the passage of time. The concert is an endless display of self-realization through humor and longing, leaving audience members yearning to become an integral part of her world.
Having performed on stages across the country, Schmidt has developed the ability to remain fresh. She enjoys her talent to entertain as much as the audience enjoys being entertained.
(Door County Advocate, Wisconsin)
- 19 CD's. The latest is "New Whirled Order"
- Those who keep trying to categorize Claudia Schmidt's music should just give it up and file her under the general category 'TALENT' Big talent.
Post-Bulletin (Rochester, Mn.)
- Listen to podcast...http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/claudia-schmidt-6-23-08/id81555339?i=79487889
- Or this podcast...http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/claudia-schmidts-song-soul/id282799921?i=90300270
True Life Trio
Saturday Oct 3rd at 8pm, Inside concert
Vocal harmonies from Eastern Europe, the Americas & beyond.
- True Life Trio performs riveting vocal harmonies from Eastern Europe, the Americas & beyond. This innovative trio explores the creative possibilities of cross-fertilization of different traditions with unlikely timbres connecting Bulgaria to the Bayou. TLT's improvisation-laced repertoire includes original songs and folk tunes from far-flung lands such as Albania, Bulgaria, Georgia, Greece, Macedonia, Mexico, Poland, Ukraine and the American South.
- Featuring the powerful vocal talents of three dynamic performers whose musical collaboration was forged in Kitka Women's Vocal Ensemble, this Bay Area trio delves deep into a vast array of folk music that lends itself to three-part vocal harmony, massaging and expanding the boundaries of these traditional styles.
- True Life Trio is:
Leslie Bonnett: voice, fiddle, percussion
Briget Boyle: voice, guitar, percussion
Juliana Graffagna: voice, accordion, percussion
- LESLIE BONNETT
Leslie Bonnett's artistic path has been marked by a rich diversity of musical journeys. Her primary instruments of expression are voice and violin, complemented by explorations into a variety of dance forms. She began with classical studies as a child but soon thereafter jumped off into the musical realms of Scandinavia, the Balkans, Eastern Europe, the Americas and beyond. Along the way she earned a B.A. in Music from U.C. Santa Cruz and sang with San Francisco Symphony Chorus and Savina. Leslie also sang for fifteen years with Kitka Women’s Vocal Ensemble with whom she had the great fortune of working with amazing master artists and travelling to far off lands for performance and musical/cultural study. She can currently be found performing with Balkalicious Firedrive (www.bfdmusic.com).
- BRIGET BOYLE
Briget Boyle (www.brigetboyle.com) began her musical journey at a very young age. As the daughter of singer songwriter Karen Tobin and recording engineer Tim Boyle, it is safe to say that she came out singing. Briget is a solo singer-songwriter who began writing her own music at the age of 12. She is one of the preeminent vocalists in the Balkan and Eastern European music scene in the Bay Area, and in addition to performing with True Life Trio, she formerly sang with renowned groups Kitka and Brass Menazeri. Her debut solo album, The Parts Interior, is now available for purchase on cdbaby.
- JULIANA GRAFFAGNA
Juliana Graffagna (www.julianagraffagna.com) began her musical career at a young age, singing in church choir and studying classical piano. She then ventured on to musical theatre, women's glee club, Russian language study, and the discovery of her passion for traditional music. Juliana sang with the acclaimed Kitka Women’s Vocal Ensemble for more than two decades, serving as music director for 10 years and performing extensively throughout the U.S. and Eastern Europe. She has had the privilege of studying Eastern European vocal technique with master singers Tzvetanka Varimezova, Mariana Sadovska, Merita Halili, Donka Koleva, Carl Linich and Christos Govetas. Juliana currently performs with the eclectic world music ensemble Janam (www.janamband.com) which she founded in 2007. She is also a studio vocalist and voice/piano teacher.
- True Life Trio is currently working on their first full-length recording, Like Never and Like Always, scheduled for release at the end of 2015. Like Never and Like Always is a collaboration with string virtuoso Gari Hegedus and was originally commissioned by the East Bay Fund For Artists with premiere performances in November of 2014. This ambitious and exciting recording project is being produced by Eric Oberthaler (www.soundsliketree.com) and was recorded by David Luke at Opus Studios in Berkeley, CA.
- True Life's Trio debut EP Home is available on cdbaby.
True Life Trio on CDBaby
True Life Trio website
True Life Trio on Facebook
Ian Faquini and Rebecca Kleinmann
Saturday Nov 7th at 8pm, Inside concert
Brazilian rhythms and other harmonic influences
- Composer, guitarist and vocalist Ian Faquini and flutist/ vocalist Rebecca Kleinmann have been friends for fifteen years and working together since Rebecca moved to the Bay area in 2009. They released their first album together "Brasiliense" last year featuring all original music by Faquini. Ian utilizes a wide range of Brazilian rhythms and grooves while grasping strong melodic and harmonic influences from composers such as Guinga, Gershwin, Bach, Ravel, Duke Ellington and Tom Jobim. Rebecca uses a lush tone palate to interpret Ian's melodies in story telling fashion with and improvises fluidly through the rich chord changes.
- In the words of Jazz Great, Pianist Benny Green:
"Ian is a remarkably gifted composer/guitarist and in Rebecca's flute his conceptions have the ultimate empathetic blend. Rebecca is masterful and selfless in her ability and inclination of melding her sound with her environment. This grace, humility and focussed intention it is the perfect compliment to the rich quiet fire and deep soul of Ian's music. The duo is a joy to hear at length, as the mutual respect evident in their artistic kinship and the balance of deep preparation with the unaffected abandon to go wherever the moment leads, to laugh and trust one another, is the very stuff which disarm and free a listener's mind to be transported and healed." ~ Benny Green, Berkeley 2014
- Don't miss this unique opportunity to hear the fabulous duo in the intimate Wisteria Ways setting.
Ian Faquini and Rebecca Kleinmann website
back to top